Our local health office connects families to resources to help ensure a safe and healthy home environment that is free of exposure to lead, radon, carbon monoxide, mold, pests and drinking water contaminants.
Our local health office tests 1- and 2-year olds for lead at WIC clinics if they have not been tested by their health care provider. If the child has an elevated blood lead level, we connect with their health care provider for follow-up. We also provide lead poisoning prevention education to our community.
Lead poisoning is a serious but preventable health problem. Lead is a highly toxic metal that has been commonly used in many household, industrial and automobile products—such as paint, solder, batteries, brass, car radiators, bullets, pottery, etc. Too much lead in the body, or lead poisoning, can cause serious and permanent health problems.
The major source of lead poisoning in Vermont children is lead dust from chipping or peeling lead-based paint, but there are many other lead hazards. Lead poisoning can be prevented when you know what danger signs and hazards to look for in your home.