The Rutland Local Health Office covers Rutland County and the Rutland Hospital Service Area. We live in the communities we serve, and are here to protect and promote the health of all Vermonters. We do this in many ways and with many partners. Working with community coalitions, we address public health concerns like tobacco use, obesity and substance abuse. We work with schools, worksites and other partners to create an environment of health by addressing core issues that negatively affect health. We are involved with health care reform addressing access to care, clinical best practice and self-management support. We provide direct services by enrolling pregnant women, new mothers and young children into the WIC Program. We also provide immunizations and make referrals to other community programs and resources. We invite you to learn about the many ways we can help you, your family, and your community be healthy.
If you drink water from a well, it’s important to test it. What’s in your water can affect your health – whether it’s arsenic, lead, E. coli or another contaminant.
To test your well water:
1. Order a test kit from the Department of Health Laboratory by calling 800-660-9997 or 802-338-4736. The Health Department recommends the following testing schedule:
- Total coliform bacterial test - every year, $14
- Inorganic chemical test (arsenic, lead, nitrate and more) - every five years, $100
- Gross alpha radiation screen - every five years, $45
2. Follow the instructions on the kit to take samples of your water.
3. Drop off the samples at the Rutland Office of Local Health.
- Drop-off hours: Monday through Friday, 7:45-11:30 a.m. (except State holidays)
- Drop-off location: Rutland Local Health Office, 300 Asa Bloomer Building, Rutland, VT 05701
Learn more at healthvermont.gov/water
888-253-8802 or 802-786-5811
Benson, Brandon, Castleton, Chittenden, Clarendon, Danby, Fair Haven, Goshen, Hubbardton, Ira, Killington (Sherburne), Mendon, Middletown Springs, Mt. Holly, Mount Tabor, Pawlet, Pittsfield, Pittsford, Poultney, Proctor, Rutland City, Rutland Town, Shrewsbury, Sudbury, Tinmouth, Wallingford, Wells, West Haven, West Rutland